An UNEXPECTED Twist: My Hair Is Unprofessional? #SayWhat
Hows tricks? I hope your weekend is going well.
Now, I've been thinking about this post for a while! To be honest, wearing my natural hair out, wild and free, has not always been my cuppa tea! For a long time, I believed my hair was too kinky/nappy - I thought it had to be tamed as it was unkempt. 5 years down the line, I've come to see how much the beliefs I had about my hair were myths and misconceptions.
It's taken me a while to work through my feelings of insecurity when it comes to my natural hair. I'm really glad that I've come to love and accept it for what it is.
That said, the path to loving my hair has gotten a lot trickier as #HashtagAdulting has become a reality. #Adulting has meant I've had to think about my "professional image". Sigh - gone are the Uni days when I would rock up to my classes in a beanie or head wrap to cover up a "bad hair day". Since #Adulting I don't quite have these liberties at work, as I'm sure many naturalistas will testify!
So here I am wading the unknown waters of natural hair in the workplace. I'm learning a few tips and tricks along the way, so I thought I'd share.
Watch my latest YouTube video for some juicy deets:
And now of course, some poses - because, why not?! :-) Here's how I respond to natural hair haters..!! Hahaha!!
1. My "My Bi*** don't even try me with your ignorance" smile!!
2. My "Ooh she tried it "face!!
3. My "I'm not even listening to this hater anyway because I'm winning at life" smile!!
4. My "I'm more than qualified to be in this job, so thank you very much" face!
5. My "Excuse me, what did you say?" head tilt!
6. My "#WerkIt #FeelingMyself" pose!
7. My face when I see another naturalista plain goddessing in her kinks and curls! Get it, girl! Get it!
8. My "It's gonna be alright boo, just do you" face!!
Jokes and poses aside, have you encountered natural hair haters? In school or at work? What's been your response? How have you learnt to confidently rock your kinks and curls regardless of stereotypes and misconceptions about black/African-American/African hair?
Love and Sunshine,